The Bombay Wharf warehouses were built in in c.1850-60s, in pale yellow brick at 103-105 Rotherhithe Street, SE16. They were originally built as a granary and consist of Grade II listed buildings. The buildings were then restored and converted into an estate of 6 seperate blocks by Taylor Woodrow developers and Smith Maloney Architects.
The modern conversion retained as much of the character of the existing buildings as possible. New elements such as external access stairs and lifts were incorporated as modern interventions, but with an industrial aesthetic that reflected the past use of the buildings and retained original architectural features. For example, an early C20 wall-mounted lattice-jibbed crane remains on the exterior of the building - now purely decorative, it was used to hoist cargo from boats moored outside.
Below we have included vintage photographs depicting the history of Rotherhithe and Bombay Wharf.